The Bellanca Airfield Museum, on Frenchtown Road (Route 273) at Centerpoint Boulevard, just outside New Castle, is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month from May through October. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.
The museum, in a hangar operated by Friends of Bellanca Airfield Inc., tells the story of Delaware’s rich aviation history, with a special focus on aviation pioneer Giuseppe Bellanca, who came to Delaware at the invitation of Henry B. du Pont and began building aircraft in 1928 in a plant near the hangar site. Several old Bellanca planes are on display. The hangar, built in 1935 to replace one destroyed by fire, is also home to the Delaware Aviation Hall of Fame.
The Friends welcome gifts of artifacts and memorabilia, as well as donations and volunteer help. Tax-deductible donations may be sent to Friends of Bellanca Airfield, Box 267, New Castle, DE 19720.